A different form of knödel, this one made with potatoes.
There are many different types of potato dumplings, some made totally with raw potatoes only, some made with half raw potatoes, half cooked, and some made with only cooked potatoes. This is the 50-50 type.
- 1500g raw potatoes
- 375g peeled and cooked potatoes, cooled
- 1/4 l milk, heated
- 2 old stale rolls
- 40g butter
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch salt
- Wash the raw potatoes, peel them, grate them, and squeeze out any extra liquid by placing the potatoes inside a towel and wringing out the towel, reserving the liquid. Let the starch settle out of the liquid and pour off the top liquid.
- Cut the bread into small cubes and brown in butter. Pour hot milk over the raw potatoes.
- Grate the cooked potatoes and mix with the starch, salt and raw potatoes into a dough. Take a few of the croutons and form a baseball-size ball of the potato dough around them.
- Cook in simmering water for 20-30 minutes and serve with sauce.