A refreshing Indian salad that pairs well with rich, spicy curries.
Indian Tomato Salad with Mint Dressing
This is a wonderful refreshing Indian salad that pairs really well with rich, spicy curries. Made with slices of juicy tomato, scattered with red onion, and drizzled with a mint dressing, then finished with a small pinch of garam masala. The dressing here is simply Raita, thinned down slightly with water so it’s pourable. Raita is a green mint yogurt sauce that is often served on the side of curries. Both yogurt and mint are ideal for cooling the palette in case you can’t handle the heat!
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, sliced into rounds
- 1/4 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 pinch of garam marsala, to taste (optional)
- 1 cup / 250g plain yoghurt
- 2 cups mint leaves
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, or to taste
- Couple of pinches of salt
- 1 tbsp+ water
- Blitz ingredients in a food processor until it becomes a smooth, bright green sauce.
- Use extra water to thin to a pourable consistency.
- Put the tomatoes in a bowl. Sprinkle with pinch of salt, mix with your hands and leave to rest for 10 minutes (extracts a bit of juice, makes them juicier).
- Drain the tomatoes. Mix with the onion in a serving bowl.
- Drizzle dressing over the tomato salad.
- Sprinkle with a pinch of garam marsala if desired.
- Raita is typically a thin, pourable consistency, whether used for dressing or as sauce. Recipe makes more dressing than you need for this salad because it’s hard to make less in a food processor so serve leftovers with the main. Nutrition assumes 1/2 cup of the Mint Dressing is used for the salad.