A quick and delicious recipe for roast peppers in oil, perfect for using up a bounty of fresh peppers.
Roast Peppers in Oil
It tastes best after a few days, and will keep at least a few weeks.
- 2 lbs peppers. Any kind will do, just watch the heat level depending on what you can tolerate
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp capers in oil or salt
- to taste salt
- to taste pepper
- sufficient good-quality olive oil
- Roast peppers over open flame or under broiler until charred on all sides. Place in paper bag, close and let steam for 15 minutes. Remove skin and seeds and cut flesh into long strips.
- Place peppers into an airtight glass jar and squeeze lemon juice over the top. Slice garlic cloves thinly and sprinkle across the top. Add capers, salt and pepper to taste and mix thoroughly. Add enough olive oil to cover everything by 1/2 inch. Close tightly and refrigerate. It tastes best after a few days, and will keep at least a few weeks.