This is a very old and incredibly easy method of preserving fruit. We couldn’t resist the amazing organic peaches, nectarines and plums at the awesome Alemany’s Farmers Market, but soon had to face the realization that there’s only so many fruit tarts and chutneys we could eat.
If you love preserves with fresh fruit flavor, but are not ready to commit to canning at home–try this, there’s no cooking involved. The resulting spread can keep for several months in the fridge.
- 3 cups fresh blackberries, sliced peaches, or other fruit
- 2-3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- juice of 1/2 lemon or lime (optional)
- Place the fruit, 2 cups of sugar and salt into a bowl and mash together (a fork, spoon, potato masher or other implement works well) until you reach the desired consistency. It will thin a little as the juice leeches from the fruit due to the sugar.
- Add lemon or lime juice and more sugar as desired.
- Place in an airtight container and refrigerate, stirring once or twice in the next day or two. It will keep for at least a month refrigerated.