This dish we’ve made multiple times. Sometimes it has turned out wonderful, other times, just good. We are still working on tuning the spice amounts.
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- 1/8 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1 1/2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup long-grain rice
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. pistachio nuts or pumpkin seeds, lightly toasted and chopped
- 2 tbsp. golden raisins, soaked in boiling water 1 minute and drained
- 2 tbsp. thinly sliced green scallions
In a small heavy saucepan cook the onion with the turmeric and the cardamom in 1 tbsp. butter over low heat until the onion is softened. Add rice and cook until coated with butter. Ad the broth, bring to a boil, cover, and simmer until liquid is absorbed, approximately 15 minutes.
Stir in the pistachios, raisins, scallions, remaining butter and salt and pepper to taste.