We recently picked up a package of frozen lamb chops from Trader Joe’s and tried this recipe. It was a definite winner. The tart cherries, balsamic vinegar and port combined together to make an exceptionally tasty dressing. The sauce is not complicated, and the whole dish comes together relatively quickly.
Lamb Chops with Cherry-Port Reduction
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 4 4-to 5-ounce loin lamb chops
- 1/3 cup chopped shallots
- 3/4 cup ruby Port
- 1/2 cup low-salt chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries (we used Montmorency cherries from Costco)
- 3 tbsp. cherry or raspberry jam
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- chopped fresh mint or parsley
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy saucepans over medium heat. Season the lamb chops on all sides with salt and pepper. Cook the chops, turning often, until they reach the desired doneness, approximately 10 minutes. Remove the chops and keep warm under foil.
- Pour off any extra oil from the pan and add the shallots, sautéing 1 minute. Add port, chicken broth, cherries, jam, vinegar and cardamom to shallots and simmer until thickened to a thin syrup. Season with salt and pepper. Plate lamb and pour sauce over the top, sprinkling with parsley or mint, if desired.