Beet Soup With Dill Cream
A great beet soup.
- 4 cups (or more) canned low-salt chicken broth
- 1 pound beets, peeled, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup peeled chopped carrot
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives of green onions
- Sour cream
- Combine 4 cups broth, beets, onions, carrot and garlic in medium saucepan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 35 minutes. Cool slightly. Puree in blender in batches until smooth. (Jane prefers it unblended). Transfer to bowl. Thin with additional broth if soup is too thick. Mix in sugar. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and chill until cold, at least 4 hours or overnight. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Keep refrigerated.) This may be served cold.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle with dill and chives. Top with sour cream.