Rich and chewy, this gelato is incredibly easy to make. Use really ripe bananas and a good-quality dark rum for the best results. Once the gelato has frozen, place in an airtight container and freeze for an hour to firm it up a bit.
Banana Rum Gelato
- 1 lb. ripe bananas (the riper the better, but not yet brown)
- 2/3 c. sugar
- 2/3 c. whole milk
- 2 tbsp. dark rum
- Peel the bananas and chop into pieces.
- Puree in a food processor with a metal blade until smooth.
- Add milk, sugar and dark rum and puree a minute more.
- Cover and refrigerate until cold.
- Place in ice cream maker and freeze.
I am also an avid food lover and a photographer. I live in the Bay Area as well.