A very popular dish in India. It is best when made with all ingredients, but you can leave out some of the smaller spices with decent results.
- 1 medium-sized eggplant, roasted and peeled
- 2 tbsp. ghee or vegetable oil
- 1-2 tsp. hot green chiles, seeded and minced
- 1/4 tsp yellow asafetida powder
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp. chopped mint (optional)
- 2/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tsp. Garam Masala
- sprinkle smoked salt
Coarsely chop the eggplant pulp. Heat the oil or ghee in a a nonstick pan over medium heat. When hot, add asafetida, chiles, and cumin seeds and fry until seeds darken. Add the eggplant, ground coriander and salt, and cook until dry and thick, stirring occasionally, approx. 10 minutes.
Remove pan from heat and let cool to room temperature. Stir in fresh herbs, yogurt and garam masala and smoked salt. This is best served lukewarm.